|Published:||Oct 11, 2012 12:24 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 11, 2012 12:24 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Neighbors of Jesse Watlington gathered at JetBlue Park tonight-- to raise money for his family. Watlington died, after he was struck by lightning while running onto the football field last week.
On Wednesday night, the Florida Knights soccer program asked their athletes to wear purple in Jesse's honor. Some coaches and athletes also put the number 51 on the back of their shirts in his memory. Jesse was not involved with Florida Knights soccer, but some of the families involved in the program knew him.
Another group is also helping the Watlington family cover medical and funeral costs. Gateway Gives is a neighborhood non profit that will collect money at Gateway soccer games on Saturday, October 6th from 8 till 12 and at Gateway Flag Football from 6:30 to 8:30 that same night.
- Man with stolen passport on missing airline is asylum seeker
- NY college students charged after dog's beer photo
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal