|Published:||Sep 26, 2012 3:59 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 26, 2012 3:59 PM EDT|
BOSTON (AP) - A 6-year-old Massachusetts girl whose love for Justin Bieber encouraged hospital workers to organize a pretend wedding to the pop star as she battled a rare brain cancer has died.
The family of Avalanna Routh (rooth) - who called herself Mrs. Bieber - said on their Twitter account that she died Wednesday.
Her pretend wedding to Bieber led to a social media campaign to help her meet the singer.
Bieber later arranged for the girl to meet him in New York, before he tweeted that the experience was inspiring and the best thing he's done.
Avalanna suffered from an atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor. Only 30 new cases are diagnosed in the U.S. each year.
Bieber mourned the death of "one of the greatest spirits i have ever known," saying in a tweet: "RIP Avalanna. i love you."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Wags and barks speak volumes when talking to dogs
- Lawyer: NY Engineer had 'daze' before train crash
- Obama opens health plan sales campaign
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- Newtown to release 911 calls from school shooting
- Ex-EMS from devastated Texas town faces sentencing
- US court: Negligence not cause of 3rd WTC collapse
- LA airport shooting suspect to appear in court