|Published:||May 29, 2012 9:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 29, 2012 9:03 PM EDT|
SAN FELICE SUL PANARO, Italy (AP) - Rescuers say they have pulled a woman alive from the rubble of her apartment building, 12 hours after a killer quake hit northern Italy.
Firefighters told Sky TG24 that the woman yelled out to rescuers as they were about to reach her Tuesday night in the rubble of her kitchen. She had gone into the building, which had been damaged by the region's May 20 quake, reportedly to retrieve some clothes, when Tuesday's 5.8 magnitude temblor struck, collapsing the apartment building of several stories.
In an unrelated development, officials changed Tuesday's death toll 16 - one lower than earlier - and said one person remains missing. The number of injured was raised to 350.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 3 dozen firefighters rescue Seattle horse stuck in the mud
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexico's southeastern coast
- James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51.
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- Bipartisan proposal on student loans circulating
- Syria troops fight rebels near major Shiite shrine
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Mueller: FBI uses drones for surveillance