Published: Jan 18, 2012 10:20 PM EST

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - After a deadly bombing attack at a bazaar in Afghanistan today, the top commander of international troops there says insurgents have "declared outright war" on the Afghan people.
    
A statement from NATO headquarters in Kabul says the explosion in Helmand province killed and injured dozens of Afghan civilians, Afghan national security forces and coalition troops. It didn't disclose further details about how many foreign troops had been killed or wounded.
    
A provincial spokesman had said the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber on a motorcycle, and that it killed 12 Afghans -- including two policemen -- while wounding at least 23 others.
    
U.S. Gen. John Allen says the attack shows that the Taliban's leader, Mullah Omar, has "lost all control" over insurgents. More than a year ago, Omar urged his fighters to try to avoid killing innocent civilians.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)