Published: Nov 30, 2011 7:33 PM EST

YAPHANK, N.Y. (AP) - A New York police official says one person may be responsible for leaving 10 bodies along a remote barrier beach since 1996.
    
Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer tells The Associated Press that detectives no longer think multiple killers are responsible. Dormer has previously said as many as three people could have left bodies along a desolate Long Island roadway.
    
Dormer has been giving media interviews in advance of the anniversary of the discovery of the first body on Dec. 11, 2010. His latest theory was first reported Wednesday by Newsday.
    
Dormer declined to detail reasons for the change in theory, but notes all victims appear linked to the sex trade.
    
The investigation began as a hunt for a still-missing New Jersey prostitute. She is missing and presumed dead.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)