|Published:||Sep 05, 2011 11:11 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 05, 2011 6:45 PM EDT|
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The Black Widow of eating contests has scarfed down 183 chicken wings in 12 minutes to break her own world record set last year in Buffalo, N.Y.
Sonya Thomas took home first place Sunday at the tenth annual National Buffalo Wings Festival. She beat eating marvel Joey "Jaws" Chestnut, who came in second with 174 wings.
The two won titles at the July Fourth hot dog eating contest on Coney Island.
The 100-pound Thomas of Alexandria, Va., is the reigning wing-eating champion. She downed 181 wings to win the 2010 contest. Chestnut of San Jose, Calif., settled for second with 169 wings.
The winner gets $1,500. The runner-up wins $750, and third place gets $300.
Thomas is called the Black Widow becomes she often beats male competitors in eating contests.
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Jury acquits ex-cop in fatal post-Katrina shooting
- Report: Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported
- Sebelius sees 'positive trends' on health care site