Published: Aug 05, 2011 6:24 PM EDT

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A federal jury has convicted five current or former police officers of civil rights violations in the deadly shootings on a New Orleans bridge after Hurricane Katrina.
    
All five officers were convicted Friday of charges stemming from the cover-up of the shootings. The four who had been charged with civil rights violations in the shootings were convicted on all counts.
    
Prosecutors said police shot six unarmed people, killing two, on the Danziger Bridge less than a week after the 2005 storm. Officers also were charged with participating in a cover-up to make the shootings appear justified.
    
Defense attorneys said the officers were shot at before they returned fire and acted reasonably in the face of a deadly threat.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)