|Published:||Jul 27, 2011 7:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 27, 2011 6:17 PM EDT|
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) - Officials say a woman and a 15-year-old girl were illegally inside a Mexican border prison when a fight broke out that killed 17 inmates.
Chihuahua state prosecutors say a party was also apparently under way in the all-male prison before the riot started Tuesday.
Among other revelations, the federal Public Safety Department said federal police fired on Police Chief Julian Leyzaola of the border city of Ciudad Juarez on Tuesday when he went to the scene of the prison riot. He was not hit. The department said Leyzaola had driven through a checkpoint without stopping.
The incident was the latest sign of tension between local and federal security forces in the violent city, located across the border from El Paso, Texas.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NY college students charged after dog's beer photo
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal