|Published:||Jul 22, 2011 3:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 22, 2011 2:30 PM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - Speaker John Boehner says the House has "done its job" toward resolving the impasse over raising the government's debt limit and says it's time for the Senate to act.
Boehner (BAY'-nur) appeared at a news conference Friday as the Senate was undertaking a vote on legislation that Republicans pushed through the House earlier in the week tying an increase in borrowing authority to a substantial program of spending cuts, including restraints on Social Security and Medicare.
At the same time, the Ohio Republican denied again that there was a secret deal in the works with the Obama White House, saying he was repeating his earlier denials so t here would be no doubt about it.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor called on Democrats to produce their own plan.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NY college students charged after dog's beer photo
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal