|Published:||Jul 15, 2011 7:35 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 15, 2011 6:35 PM EDT|
SAO PAULO (AP) - Researchers say they have located the wreckage of a German World War II submarine sunk off the coast of southern Brazil.
Researchers from the Vale do Itajai University say the U-513 submarine was found on Thursday at a depth of 245 feet (75 meters) off the coast of Santa Catarina state. It has not been towed to shore.
Friday's statement says American planes sank the submarine on July 19, 1943.
It adds that during World War II German submarines were sunk off the coast of Brazil. The U-513 is the first one to be found.
Further details were not immediately available.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Invasive cockroach found in NYC can take the cold
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- '127 Hours' figure arrested on assault charges
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers
- Senate Dems push Obama nominees, GOP bides time
- Ex-San Diego mayor to be sentenced for harassment