Published: Jul 06, 2011 8:02 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 06, 2011 7:03 PM EDT

CAIRO (AP) - Egypt's security chief says hundreds of high-ranking police officers will be sacked for their role in a harsh crackdown on anti-government protests earlier this year.

Interior Minister Mansour el-Essawi says the July 14 shakeup will be the largest in the history of his ministry. He also ordered an investigation into the killings of nearly 850 protesters by police during 18-day uprising that forced President Hosni Mubarak to step down Feb 11.

Police has been accused of excessive force and held responsible for a dramatic crime surge.

El-Essawi's move come after two days of riots in the city of Suez where protesters pelted the security headquarters with rocks, angered by release of policemen accused of killing protesters.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)