Published: May 03, 2011 8:49 PM EDT
Updated: May 03, 2011 5:49 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says Osama bin Laden's death won't affect plans to begin withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan this summer.

Spokesman Jay Carney says the plan is on track to begin pulling out troops in July and turning responsibility for security in certain areas over to the Afghans.

President Barack Obama told The Associated Press in an interview last month that he was awaiting a recommendation from Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, before deciding on how many troops to bring home.

Obama added that that number would depend on conditions on the ground in Afghanistan.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)