|Published:||Apr 21, 2011 8:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 21, 2011 5:28 PM EDT|
RENO, Nev. (AP) - President Barack Obama says the Justice Department is assembling a team to investigate fraud or manipulation in the oil markets.
Obama discussed gas prices and mentioned Attorney General Eric Holder's the new task force during a town hall in Reno, Nev., on Thursday. He said he wants to make sure that consumers aren't being taken advantage of in the short term.
Pump prices are averaging $3.84 per gallon for regular gas. That's about 30 cents higher than a month ago and almost a dollar higher than a year ago.
But there's not much Obama can do to affect the price in short term.
Obama is wrapping up a two-day West Coast swing that's mixing presidential business with re-election campaigning.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Flight diverted with landing gear light on
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- Government sells remaining stake in GM
- Jury selected in Montana newlywed killing case
- Attorney confirms Wis. snuggle business has closed
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban for decade
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine