|Published:||Jan 05, 2011 10:59 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 05, 2011 8:00 PM EST|
OAKLAND, Tenn. (AP) - Emergency crews are on the scene of a munitions plant in western Tennessee where there was a series of explosions and a fire.
There was no immediate word on injuries at the Kinematics Research plant in Oakland, which makes ammunition for firearms. The company's phone line was busy Wednesday afternoon.
Witnesses reported hearing several explosions around 2 p.m. over some 30 minutes.
Tennessee Emergency Management Agency spokesman Jeremy Heidt says there also was a fire.
A large plume of smoke billowed from the plant after the explosion. There were no immediate evacuations because no homes are nearby.
Oakland is about 30 miles northeast of Memphis.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Jury acquits ex-cop in fatal post-Katrina shooting
- Report: Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported
- Sebelius sees 'positive trends' on health care site