|Published:||Nov 08, 2010 5:17 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 08, 2010 2:17 PM EST|
PERUGIA, Italy (AP) - Former University of Washington student Amanda Knox has been indicted on slander charges in Italy for claiming she was beaten by police when questioned in 2007 about her roommate's slaying.
The judge made the decision after a closed-door hearing Monday in Perugia (peh-ROO'-juh).
Knox's lawyer says the 23-year-old Seattle woman told the judge that she never meant to slander anybody and she was just trying to defend herself.
She is serving a 26-year prison term on her conviction in the death of British student Meredith Kercher.
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- House Republicans get behind budget agreement
- Ryan: Budget deal moves US in 'right direction'
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- FCC chairman: Calls on planes up to each airline
- Kerry back to Mideast to push peace talks
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating