|Published:||Nov 06, 2010 8:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 27, 2012 9:41 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - The National Hurricane Center in Miami has downgraded Hurricane Tomas to tropical storm status as it moves northeastward through the Caribbean Sea.
The center of the storm was passing over the Turks and Caicos Islands early Saturday after brushing past Haiti on Friday.
The storm is about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north-northwest of Grand Turk Island and was packing maximum sustained winds of 70 mph (110 kmh).
Hurricane warnings for Haiti and parts of the Bahamas have been replaced by tropical storm warnings.
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- DiGiorno, supplier drop dairy farm over abuse
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- GM names Mary Barra CEO, 1st woman to head car co.
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,153
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden boosts mental health
- Kerry, Congress spar over Iran nuclear deal