|Published:||Oct 01, 2010 5:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 01, 2010 2:04 PM EDT|
ROSEVILLE, Mich. (AP) - A Detroit-area woman who authorities say told her 12-year-old son he had leukemia, shaved his head and eyebrows, and held a church fundraiser that pulled in more than $7,000 has made a brief court appearance.
Forty-seven year-old Carol Lynn Schnuphase (SCHNOO'-fays) of Warren was arraigned Friday in Roseville, Mich. Schnuphase faces two counts of false pretenses over $1,000 and one count of second-degree child abuse.
She was held on $100,000 bond and a preliminary hearing was set for Oct. 13.
Defense lawyer Dominic Greco says bond was set too high. He says Schnuphase has no money.
Authorities say the boy didn't have leukemia, and that Schnuphase drugged the boy's applesauce with opiates to make him appear lethargic.
The child is in foster care.
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- House Republicans get behind budget agreement
- Ryan: Budget deal moves US in 'right direction'
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- FCC chairman: Calls on planes up to each airline
- Kerry back to Mideast to push peace talks
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating