|Published:||Sep 14, 2010 9:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 14, 2010 6:55 PM EDT|
METAIRIE, La. (AP) - Reggie Bush says he is forfeiting his Heisman Trophy.
The New Orleans Saints running back released a statement Tuesday saying he would give back the award that he won in 2005 while he was at Southern California.
It's the first time college football's top award was returned by a recipient.
USC was hit with heavy sanctions by the NCAA this summer after it determined Bush had received improper benefits. The NCAA ruled that Bush was ineligible for the 2005 season, which opened the possibility that the Heisman Trophy Trust would take back the award.
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- DiGiorno, supplier drop dairy farm over abuse
- GM names Mary Barra CEO, 1st woman to head car co.
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,153
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden boosts mental health
- Kerry, Congress spar over Iran nuclear deal