|Published:||Aug 26, 2010 5:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 26, 2010 2:31 PM EDT|
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a South Carolina mother who died in a fire with her twin 3-year-old sons had left them alone in her house with food on the stove when the blaze broke out.
Charleston County Sheriff's spokesman Maj. John Clark says 30-year-old Mary P. Brown of Charleston had left the house to pick up a friend Tuesday evening.
Clark says the woman returned to find the house engulfed in flames and then ran inside to rescue the boys. She brought one of the children outside to her friend, then went in for the other. Firefighters found her inside the home, not far from the other boy.
Charleston County Deputy Coroner Kelly Myers says all three died of smoke inhalation.
Assistant Fire Chief Raymond Lloyd says the fire was caused by the food left unattended on the stove.
- Obama opens health plan sales campaign
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- Mandela putting up 'courageous fight'
- Lawyer: NY Engineer had 'daze' before train crash
- Newtown to release 911 calls from school shooting
- Ex-EMS from devastated Texas town faces sentencing
- Wags and barks speak volumes when talking to dogs
- LA airport shooting suspect to appear in court
- US court: Negligence not cause of 3rd WTC collapse