|Published:||Aug 20, 2010 5:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 20, 2010 2:22 PM EDT|
NEW YORK (AP) - A leader of the proposed Islamic center and mosque two blocks from ground zero says dropping the plan in the face of protest is not an option.
Daisy Khan tells The Associated Press that she and other organizers of the center are closely consulting with American Muslim leaders as the plan moves forward. Khan says she realizes the uproar is affecting Muslims nationwide.
The project has created a national debate over religious tolerance and the Sept. 11 attacks.
Khan said Friday she's under no pressure to change locations from the political leaders who previously expressed support.
Khan and her husband, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, say the center will promote moderate Islam. Critics say the location is insensitive to 9/11 families.
Rauf is on a Mideast tour funded by the U.S. State Department.
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Communications satellite launched into space
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Washington officials look for temporary replacement bridge