|Published:||Aug 16, 2010 11:54 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 16, 2010 6:06 PM EDT|
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say the bodies of two children have been recovered from a car submerged in a South Carolina river and their mother has been arrested.
Orangeburg County Sheriff Larry Williams said the children were recovered from the North Edisto River after the car was found near a boat landing Monday.
Williams told WIS-TV the child's mother has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
The names of the victims and mother were not immediately released. Williams did not immediately return a phone call Monday afternoon.
Authorities were alerted early Monday about the car but have not said how the vehicle ended up in the water.
Divers recovered the children's bodies about 45 minutes after they were called to the scene.
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims
- Suspects in Soldier Killing Par of Prior Investigation
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Man shot by FBI had spoken with bombing suspect
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through