|Published:||Aug 14, 2010 12:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 13, 2010 6:39 PM EDT|
HOUSTON, Tx., - A teen was raped and murdered on Saturday by a man who was deported twice.
Shatavia Anderson was walking to her apartment when she was attacked
Parents and community activist Quanell X cried out against America's immigration policy.
"I believe it is time that the immigration policy in this country has more teeth," Quanell X said before the scheduled arraignments of Melvin Alvarado, 22, and Jonathan Lopez-Torres, 18.
Immigration authorities reported that Alvarado was deported in April 2008 and May 2009.
"This man should not have been allowed to sneak into the country over and over again and snuff out the life of this little girl," Quanell X said. "We do, obviously, have a border problem."
Shatavia's uncle, Joe Lambert, also called for tougher enforcement of immigration laws.
"I would like to see what they're doing in Arizona, done here," Lambert said.
The men are being held without bail in the Harris County Jail.
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- Personal finance expert Suze Orman speaks at UF
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Summer travel forecast: Better, but no blowout
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport