|Published:||Aug 14, 2010 12:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 13, 2010 6:39 PM EDT|
HOUSTON, Tx., - A teen was raped and murdered on Saturday by a man who was deported twice.
Shatavia Anderson was walking to her apartment when she was attacked
Parents and community activist Quanell X cried out against America's immigration policy.
"I believe it is time that the immigration policy in this country has more teeth," Quanell X said before the scheduled arraignments of Melvin Alvarado, 22, and Jonathan Lopez-Torres, 18.
Immigration authorities reported that Alvarado was deported in April 2008 and May 2009.
"This man should not have been allowed to sneak into the country over and over again and snuff out the life of this little girl," Quanell X said. "We do, obviously, have a border problem."
Shatavia's uncle, Joe Lambert, also called for tougher enforcement of immigration laws.
"I would like to see what they're doing in Arizona, done here," Lambert said.
The men are being held without bail in the Harris County Jail.
- Flight diverted with landing gear light on
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- Government sells remaining stake in GM
- Jury selected in Montana newlywed killing case
- Attorney confirms Wis. snuggle business has closed
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban for decade
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine