Published: Aug 13, 2010 11:56 AM EDT
Updated: Aug 13, 2010 8:59 AM EDT

FORT MYERS, Fla. - US military officials are furious this morning over the promised release of more secret documents on the war in Afghanistan. The source is Wikileaks... the same website that posted thousands of classified reports just last month.

"We have a duty to all the people who can benefit from the release of that information" Wikileaks founder Julian Assange says. He's not giving a specific time frame for the release but says his staff has already gone through roughly half of the 15,000 remaining records.

The military blasted the first leak and believes it's identified the source of the second. Officials fear it could be more damaging. Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell says, "it would compound a mistake that already put far too many lives at risk.

Assange claims the Pentagon refuses to help sift through the files and black out the names of Afghan informants. The Taliban has already said it's using the records to track down sources... a fact he reluctantly acknowledges. "This is what happens in war," Assange says, "that it is a time of wars and spies are tried in war.