|Published:||Aug 05, 2010 11:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 05, 2010 8:11 PM EDT|
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Singer Wyclef Jean has filed the paperwork to run for president of his native Haiti.
The hip hop star was greeted by dozens of supporters as he arrived Thursday with his wife and daughter at an electoral council office in Port-au-Prince. The deadline to file candidacy papers is Saturday. He had been fielding rumors of his candidacy for years.
The winner of the Nov. 28 election will preside over the spending of billions in international aid for reconstruction from the Jan. 12 earthquake.
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Rare EF5 tornado strikes Moore twice
- Jodi Arias asks for life term; jury deliberates
- IRS official Lerner to take 5th at hearing
- FBI ID's Benghazi suspects; no arrests yet
- Fire chief says search almost complete in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma schools hit by tornado had no safe rooms
- Lawyer: Feds investigating Susan Powell case