|Published:||Aug 05, 2010 11:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 05, 2010 8:11 PM EDT|
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Singer Wyclef Jean has filed the paperwork to run for president of his native Haiti.
The hip hop star was greeted by dozens of supporters as he arrived Thursday with his wife and daughter at an electoral council office in Port-au-Prince. The deadline to file candidacy papers is Saturday. He had been fielding rumors of his candidacy for years.
The winner of the Nov. 28 election will preside over the spending of billions in international aid for reconstruction from the Jan. 12 earthquake.
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- NTSB hearing on SF airliner crash postponed
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Race against clock, cold in search for Nevadans
- Democrats using new power to tilt appeals court
- GM names Mary Barra CEO, 1st woman to head car co.
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions