Published: Jul 27, 2010 11:28 AM EDT
Updated: Jul 27, 2010 8:29 AM EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - One of two U.S. sailors missing in

Afghanistan since last week has been confirmed dead and his body

recovered, a NATO spokesman said Tuesday.

The search continues for the other missing sailor, said Lt. Col.

Todd Breasseale, a spokesman for NATO and U.S. forces in

Afghanistan.

The two Navy personnel went missing Friday in the eastern

province of Logar, after an armored sport utility vehicle was seen

driving into a Taliban-held area. NATO officials were unable to say

what they were doing in such a dangerous part of eastern

Afghanistan.

The Taliban have said previously that they killed one of the two

men in a firefight and captured the other.

Jim Kerr, a Colorado legislator from the south-Denver suburb of

Littleton, said the sailor killed was his wife's nephew, Justin

McNeley, 30. He said the family learned of his death Monday. He

said McNeley's mother is in Kingman, Arizona, but declined to give

her name.

Kerr told The Denver Post that McNeley, a noncommissioned

officer and father of two sons, was due to return to the U.S. in

August.

The Taliban have said the captured sailor is in a "safe place"

where he will not be found.

In a statement, the NATO-led command said the body was recovered

Sunday after an extensive search and that the coalition "holds the

captors accountable for the safety and proper treatment of our

missing service member."

The only other American service member in Taliban captivity is

Spc. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, who disappeared June 30, 2009,

in Paktika province, also in eastern Afghanistan. That area is

heavily infiltrated by the Haqqani network, which has deep links to

al-Qaida. Bergdahl has since appeared on videos posted on Taliban

websites confirming his captivity.

New York Times reporter David Rohde was also kidnapped in Logar

province while trying to make contact with a Taliban commander. He

and an Afghan colleague escaped in June 2009 after seven months in

captivity, most of it spent in Taliban sanctuaries in Pakistan.

Hundreds of fliers, with reprinted photos of the two missing

sailors, have been distributed throughout Logar province where NATO

troops were stopping vehicles, searching them and those inside. The

fliers say a $20,000 reward is being offered for information

leading to the sailors' location.

Separately, Britain's Ministry of Defense said Tuesday that a

British soldier, who was serving with a task force working to

counter homemade bombs, died Monday in a blast in the Sangin

district of Helmand province.