|Published:||Jul 06, 2010 11:01 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 06, 2010 8:01 AM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - A private burial is planned for the late Sen.
Robert C. Byrd at a suburban Washington cemetery.
Byrd is to be buried Tuesday at a cemetery in Arlington, Va.,
next to his late wife Erma. The burial is the final moment of
farewell for the elder West Virginia statesman who served half a
century in the U.S. Senate.
Byrd died June 28 at the age of 92 at a hospital in Fairfax, Va.
His body lay in repose on the Senate floor in Washington last
week and thousands in West Virginia also paid their respects at a
public viewing in Charleston, where President Barack Obama attended
a memorial service.
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Newlywed pleads guilty to second-degree murder
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Ryan: Budget deal moves US in 'right direction'
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- FCC chairman: Calls on planes up to each airline
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right