Published: Jun 24, 2010 11:49 AM EDT
Updated: Jun 24, 2010 8:50 AM EDT

DENVER (AP) - Gary Faulkner is back home in Colorado after his

personal quest to track down al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden ended

with his arrest in a northern Pakistan woods.

The Greeley, Colo., man was detained June 13 when authorities

found him armed with a pistol, a sword and night-vision equipment.

He was released Wednesday morning in Pakistan and reached Denver

around midnight.

The tired yet buoyant construction worker spoke briefly with

reporters, saying he was feeling good. "All I want to do is get

some rest."

Faulkner declined to field questions about his trip or his

immediate plans as he was hustled through the airport by brothers

Todd and Scott.

But during a stopover in Los Angeles, Faulkner was asked by

reporters if he planned to return. "Absolutely," he said. He

added cryptically, "You'll find out at the end of August."

Faulkner said he was well cared for during his confinement and

that Pakistani medical workers administered dialysis to treat his

kidney disease.

Scott Faulkner, a physician in the northeastern Colorado town of

Fort Morgan, said he intended to check his health on Thursday. He

traveled from Los Angeles with Todd, his sister Deanna and mother


In Pakistan, he told officials he was out to kill the al-Qaida

leader. He was eventually moved to Islamabad before being released

without charges, according to Scott Faulkner.

He also spoke about his intent to get bin Laden.

He said organizing his trip "took a lot of money and a lot of


"This is not about me. What this is about is the American

people and the world," he said in comments aired on KTLA-TV. "We

can't let people like this scare us. We don't get scared by people

like this, we scare them and that's what this is about. We're going

to take care of business."

Faulkner, who is unemployed, sold his construction tools to

finance six trips on what relatives have called a Rambo-type

mission to kill or capture bin Laden. He grew out his hair and

beard to fit in better.

Scott Faulkner said last week that his brother wasn't crazy,

just determined to find the man America's military has failed to

capture nearly a decade after the 9/11 attacks.

"Is it out of the norm? Yes, it is. But is it crazy? No,"

Scott Faulkner said. "If he wore a uniform and called himself

special ops, would he be crazy?"

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters in

Washington that the family would have the best information on

Faulkner's case. Faulkner, two department officials have said,

refused to sign a waiver allowing the government to discuss his

case publicly.

"In this particular case, as in all cases where we have an

American citizen in custody of another country, we are in touch

with that individual, we are in touch with his family," Crowley

said. "We stayed in close contact with him and with his family

throughout this, and we are gratified it was resolved rapidly."

Faulkner left Colorado on May 30. Scott Faulkner dropped him off

at the airport and wasn't sure he'd see him again. But he and other

relatives have insisted that Gary Faulkner left the U.S. unarmed,

had a valid visa for Pakistan and was guilty of no crime while


Indeed, relatives have said they hope the trip encourages more

people to look for bin Laden.

"Now there's going to be hopefully a renewed effort to get this

guy - he's still wanted, and he's still out there," Scott Faulkner

said last week.