|Published:||Jun 19, 2010 9:18 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 19, 2010 6:19 PM EDT|
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - An associate of former NBA player Manute Bol says Bol has died at a Virginia hospital, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition.
Sudan Sunrise executive director Tom Prichard says in an e-mail that the 7-foot-6 Bol died Saturday morning at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville.
The 47-year-old Bol played 10 seasons in the NBA and later founded Sudan Sunrise, a humanitarian group based in Lenexa, Kan., that promotes reconciliation in Sudan. Bol played professionally with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami.
Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. Prichard says Sudan "and the world have lost a hero."
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- Personal finance expert Suze Orman speaks at UF
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Summer travel forecast: Better, but no blowout
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport