|Published:||Jun 19, 2010 9:18 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 19, 2010 6:19 PM EDT|
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - An associate of former NBA player Manute Bol says Bol has died at a Virginia hospital, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition.
Sudan Sunrise executive director Tom Prichard says in an e-mail that the 7-foot-6 Bol died Saturday morning at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville.
The 47-year-old Bol played 10 seasons in the NBA and later founded Sudan Sunrise, a humanitarian group based in Lenexa, Kan., that promotes reconciliation in Sudan. Bol played professionally with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami.
Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. Prichard says Sudan "and the world have lost a hero."
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Invasive cockroach found in NYC can take the cold
- Senate Dems push Obama nominees, GOP bides time
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Study: Erratic TV violence ratings fail parents
- Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers