Published: Jun 15, 2010 10:49 AM EDT
Updated: Jun 15, 2010 7:50 AM EDT

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The U.S.-Mexico border was rocked by a

magnitude-5.7 earthquake Monday night, rattling nerves in a region

still recovering from the deadly Easter jolt.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered five

miles southeast of Ocotillo in Imperial County - about 85 miles

east of San Diego. It struck Monday at 9:26 p.m. PDT.

The quake was an aftershock of the deadly Easter Sunday

magnitude-7.2 quake that shook Baja California and Southern

California, said Egill Hauksson, a seismologist at the California

Institute of Technology in Pasadena. He said the epicenter of

Monday's quake occurred in the same zone of the quake in April.

"Aftershocks can go on for months and years," he said.

Thousands of aftershocks have occurred since the Easter

earthquake. More than 100 aftershocks were recorded immediately

following Monday's 5.7 quake, with the largest measuring at


A 5.7-magnitude earthquake "could break windows, it could throw

things on the floor, it could create cracks on the wall, but we

don't expect things to collapse," Hauksson said.

San Diego County Office of Emergency Services had no reports of

significant damage. Louis Fuentes, chairman of the Imperial County

board of supervisors, also said he had no immediate reports of


"As soon as it hit, my wife said, 'Grab the baby.' My daughter

ran out to the back yard," said Fuentes, who was in his garage in

Calexico, about 30 miles east of the epicenter. "It thumped really


Fuentes said his chandeliers swayed at his home and metal

objects banged but nothing fell off the shelves. Imperial County

suffered significant damage in April's Easter Sunday quake.

"All the lamps, the liquor bottles and the TV hanging from the

ceiling shook, but nothing dropped," said Marina Garcia, an

employee at the Burgers and Beer restaurant in El Centro, about 30

miles east of Ocotillo.

The quake was felt as a gentle rolling motion in the Los Angeles


San Diego's Petco Park swayed during the quake, causing a

momentary pause at the Toronto Blue Jays-San Diego Padres game. The

public address announcer asked that everyone remain calm. The crowd


David Eckstein of the Padres had just grounded out in the bottom

of the inning when the stadium began shaking. The next batter,

Chase Headley, stayed out of the batter's box for a few seconds,

then stepped in.

San Diego County sheriff's dispatch supervisor Becky Strahm said

some of her colleagues reported things falling off their shelves,

but there were no immediate reports of significant damage or


The quake followed a series of temblors that struck Southern

California over the weekend, including a pair of moderate

earthquakes that rattled a desert area east of San Diego. Residents

in downtown San Diego felt the ground rumbling during at least one

of the Saturday quakes.