|Published:||Jun 01, 2010 10:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 01, 2010 7:07 PM EDT|
CRESCENT CITY, Calif. (AP) - A Northern California man accused of cutting his friend's heart from his chest and tearing off his face after taking psychedelic mushrooms is being accused of murder and torture.
Jarrod Wyatt is scheduled to be arraigned Friday on charges of murder, aggravated mayhem and torture in the killing of 21-year-old Taylor Powell.
Del Norte County Sheriff's Deputy Elwood Lee testified last week that he arrived at the scene in March to find the 26-year-old Wyatt naked and covered head to toe in dried blood.
Lee said the body on the couch next to Wyatt had an 18-inch incision in the chest and most of its face removed. Defense attorney James Fallman said his client had a psychotic break and believed that Powell was possessed by the devil.
- Massive tornado roars through Oklahoma City suburb
- Crews pull children from the rubble after Okla. tornado
- Large funnel cloud touches down near Oklahoma City
- Arias lawyers again ask to withdraw; judge says no
- NWS: Okla. tornado had winds up to 200 mph
- More Obama aides knew of IRS audit; Obama not told
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- CBS pulls comedy season-ender because of tornado
- Josh Powell had affair before wife vanished
- Thousands march in NY to protest gay man's killing