|Published:||May 19, 2010 10:23 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 19, 2010 10:23 PM EDT|
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Wal-Mart says it is pulling an entire line of Miley Cyrus-brand jewelry from its shelves after tests performed for The Associated Press found they contained high levels of the toxic metal cadmium.
In a statement released three hours after AP's initial report of its findings Monday, Wal-Mart said it would "remove all of the jewelry from sale" while it investigates.
The items are not known to be dangerous if they are simply worn. Concerns come when youngsters bite or suck on the jewelry, as many children are apt to do.
Long-term exposure to cadmium can lead to bone softening and kidney failure. It is also a known carcinogen, and research suggests that it can, like lead, hinder brain development in the very young.
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Parents of Ga. teen found dead in mat want inquiry
- Jury acquits ex-cop in fatal post-Katrina shooting
- Report: Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported
- Sebelius sees 'positive trends' on health care site