|Published:||May 12, 2010 11:36 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 12, 2010 11:36 AM EDT|
BEIJING (AP) - Seven children and a teacher are dead in another savage school attack in China, and reports indicate the teacher and the attacker may have known each other.
A local official and state media report the killer returned home after the attack on the kindergarten and committed suicide. The official Xinhua News Agency reports the victims are five boys, two girls and the teacher.
Xinhua put the number of wounded at 11 children and one adult and said two children are in serious condition.
The attack occurred despite a countrywide boost in security at schools. It's the fifth major assault at a school since late March, sparking security fears among parents, officials and educators.
The city government where the attack occurred says about 2,000 police officers and guards have been detailed to provide extra security.
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- More snow forecast for DC area and Appalachians
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- NTSB hearing on SF airliner crash postponed
- Obama in South Africa for Mandela memorial service
- Race against clock, cold in search for Nevadans
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Democrats using new power to tilt appeals court
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden to boost mental health