|Published:||May 06, 2010 11:24 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 06, 2010 11:24 PM EDT|
SUFFERN, N.Y. (AP) - Police say Pro Football Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor has been charged with third-degree rape and patronizing a prostitute in an assault on a 16-year-old runaway who was brought to his suburban New York City hotel room against her will.
The former New York Giants linebacker was arrested early Thursday at a Holiday Inn in Suffern, N.Y. Police say the victim was 16, one year below the legal age of consent in New York.
An attorney for Taylor, Kenneth Gribetz, says he is confident Taylor will be proven innocent. Ramapo Chief of Police Peter Brower says Taylor paid the girl $300.
He wouldn't comment on whether Taylor knew how young she was, but he said, "Ignorance is not an excuse to an individual's age."
- Invasive cockroach found in NYC can take the cold
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Senate Dems push Obama nominees, GOP bides time
- Study: Erratic TV violence ratings fail parents
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers
- Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms
- Ex-San Diego mayor to be sentenced for harassment