WASHINGTON (AP) - The Census Bureau says it is being watchful about potential dangers to its workers after six died in auto accidents in the last week.
At a news briefing Monday, Census Bureau director Robert Groves said the traffic deaths were of concern. He says that with more than 600,000 temporary census workers out in the field conducting interviews, "all sorts of bad things happen."
At least two of the traffic deaths occurred over the weekend in the Lubbock, Texas, area, after the bureau began its door-to-door count, which runs until mid-July. In the 2000 census, there were 13 automobile deaths, as well as a dog attack on a 71-year-old worker.