PORT FOURCHON, La. - The 111 workers who were working when an oil rig explosion occurred in the Gulf of Mexico have arrived on shore, and many have been reunited with their families. Meanwhile, the Coast Guard continues its search for 11 missing workers.
Rescue crews have covered the 1,940-square-mile search area by air 12 times and by boat five times, Petty Officer Casey Baker said. The boats searched all night, hoping the missing workers might have been able to get to a covered lifeboat with supplies.
The rig continued to burn as supply vessels shot water into it try to control the flames enough to keep it from sinking. A robot will eventually be used to stop the flow of oil or gas to the rig, cutting off the fire. He said officials have not decided when that will happen. Seventeen others hurt in the blast had been brought to shore Wednesday with burns, broken legs and smoke inhalation. Four were critically injured.
Meanwhile, a lawsuit is claiming the companies involved in an oil platform explosion off the Louisiana coast were negligent.
The lawsuit was filed in New Orleans on Thursday on behalf of a Mississippi man who worked on the rig and is one of 11 people still missing after the blast.
The lawsuit says Shane Roshto, of Amite County, Mississippi, was thrown overboard in the Tuesday night explosion and is feared dead. The rig is owned by Transocean Ltd. and was under contract to oil giant BP. Both are defendants in the lawsuit.
A Transocean spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment and BP wouldn't discuss the suit.