|Published:||Apr 22, 2010 7:22 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 22, 2010 7:22 PM EDT|
LOWNDES COUNTY, Mississippi - A four-year-old boy named Shamarie Calhoun was hailed as a hero, after he extinguished a grease fire in his apartment.
The boy's mother was in the kitchen when grease spilled on the stove and ignited. As she was gathering the children to evacuate the family from the home, Shamarie decided to take action. The four-year-old grabbed a fire extinguisher and proceeded to knock out the flames.
The boy's mother credits her son's day care with taching him how to use the fire extinguisher.
The Lowndes County Sheriff's Department presented Shamarie with the badge of courage for his brave actions.
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Rare EF5 tornado strikes Moore twice
- Jodi Arias asks for life term; jury deliberates
- IRS official Lerner to take 5th at hearing
- FBI ID's Benghazi suspects; no arrests yet
- Fire chief says search almost complete in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma schools hit by tornado had no safe rooms
- Lawyer: Feds investigating Susan Powell case