|Published:||May 07, 2012 2:06 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 07, 2012 6:31 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - The Miami Dolphins have extended linebacker Cameron Wake's contract through the 2016 season.
Wake made the Pro Bowl in 2010, when he had 14 sacks, and he had 8½ sacks last year. He came to the Dolphins in 2009 from the Canadian Football League, where he was a two-time defensive player of the year.
Wake had one year and $650,000 left on his previous contract. ESPN reported the extension was worth $49 million, with $20 million guaranteed.
"It's kind of like taking things to another level, kind of like when I came down here from the CFL," Wake said Sunday. "It has been an amazing, amazing journey."
Wake has yet to play in the postseason but said he's optimistic about the direction of the Dolphins under new coach Joe Philbin.
"So far, so good," Wake said. "Just trying to make it a first-class organization from top to bottom, and making sure we have everything we need to be successful. We are taking big strides to make sure that 2012 will be a good season for everybody."