Published: Aug 25, 2014 5:45 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 25, 2014 10:12 PM EDT

MARCO ISLAND, Fla.- A 49-year-old man has died after being electrocuted.

The victim was walking with his girlfriend after a day of boating through the community The Pavilion on Edington Place when friends say he picked up a power line, believing it was a cable line.

Friends and family confirm to WINK News, Curtiss Wold was electrocuted outside his condo on Marco Island.

"He was awesome, good guy. We all kinda thought coming down here that this was some prank he was pulling."

Police tell us a palm frond fell onto a transformer, causing an electrical wire to fall.

"I see the power line dangling," said Shannon Patnaude. "Yelling at him don't touch the wire, don't touch the wire, do not touch it. Walked around it, grabbed a hold of it, and we thought he was joking. Kind of seized up and fell on the ground."

Friends and family tell us Wold was a local computer repair business owner.

"I was on the phone with him when it happened," said Nick Swander.

Swander calls Wold a father figure.

"They took me in years ago," said Swander.

Everyone who knew Wold was visibily upset when we spoke with them Monday night.

"He loved working with computers and going out on the boat just having a good time," said Patnaude.

"I just wish there were a lot more people out there like him," said Swander.

The Marco Island Police tell WINK News they are still investigating this incident.