Published: Aug 22, 2014 11:25 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 26, 2014 2:43 PM EDT

LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.- It was a weekend miracle, as a Lehigh Acres toddler survived a near-drowning experience. 

The 2-year-old was swimming in her family's pool when she stopped breathing.

Monday, her family reunited with the first responders they credit with saving her life.


The Combs family had just sat down for dinner Friday night, when the unthinkable happened.

It started when their 9 year old son, Boston, began yelling for help. 

"She was under the water, couldn't breathe. Didn't know how long she was there," said Boston.

"She" was their two year old daughter Emma, who had stopped breathing, lying facedown in the pool.

"When I seen the color and how swollen she was, it was devastating. We thought there's no way we could bring her back," said Bill Combs, Emma's father.

Mom and Dad sprang into action. 

"We lost it, I was bawling, my wife was bawling. She's a nurse, and us two together were trying to pull it together to revive her... she wasn't there," said Bill.

But for a few terrifying minutes, they didn't think she'd make it.
Until the first responders of Lehigh Acres fire station 4 showed up.

"They took her up, snatched her, and away they went. No questions asked, they were gone," said Bill.

"Very hard, very difficult, one of the worst calls we have to do," said Clifton Conklin, first responder. 

Working hard and fast, Emma was rushed to the hospital, and started breathing again. 

"No words for that, it's just, it was joyous," said Bill.

The two year old was just released Monday, and is already laughing and smiling with her new family.

"Touches our heart to know we did our job right this time," said Conklin.

"They will forever be a place in our family, in our home," said Bill.

In this case, Emma's floaties were taken off while she was being changed, and she snuck back into the pool because she wanted to be like her 6 year old brother, who had recently stopped wearing a life jacket.

The Combs family has some simple advice, to never to take one second for granted, and always keep your eye on your child.

The Lehigh Acres chief tells WINK they were able to get to the family in five minutes. If the fire assessment fails, Fire Station 4 will shut down, leaving the closest station, 15 minutes away.