Published: Aug 20, 2014 3:40 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 20, 2014 6:12 PM EDT

LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The State Attorney's Office will be charging the 13-year-old accused of killing a homeless man in Cape Coral as an adult.

A grand jury indicted Munoz Wednesday afternoon on first degree murder charges.

Yoel Munoz allegedly stabbed Thomas Bergstrom to death at a camp behind the area of 100 NE Pine Island Road earlier this month.

According to his arrest report, Munoz stabbed Bergstrom several times. Munoz then allegedly ran back to his home, covered in heavy amounts of blood. Police said they found a knife and bloody mask belonging to Munoz at the scene.

A WINK News exclusive investigation found Munoz had called police to the hospital shortly after the crime, telling police he had been stabbed by gang members.

Munoz faces up to life in prison, but at 13, he is not eligible for the death penalty. If tried as a juvenile, he would have been housed in a detention center, rather than prison. 

At the time of the crime, WINK News spoke with a Fort Myers attorney who said the cut-off for adult charges in Florida is typically 14. He said attorneys could argue Munoz did not know what he was doing because of his age.

WINK News will be there Thursday morning, as Munoz makes his first appearance before a judge in adult court.