FORT MYERS, Fla.- Friday night it it will be one year since high rain-water sucked six-year old Owen Just in to a storm drain.
He traveled 300 yards, the length of three football fields, in a small, dark concrete tube.
Owen was dumped in to the Caloosahatchee River.
"It is still a miracle that he went under our streets and came out fine," said Tina Gelinas.
WINK News spoke to Gelinas after it happened.
She is a mother and realized the hidden danger right outside her house.
WINK News investigated and discovered many large, exposed drains throughout the city.
"It then became a reality that that could happen just because the amount of water coming down," said Gelinas.
After the scare, the city of fort myers made a promise to identify all the storm drains 15-inches or wider and cover them with metal bars.
"We had a contractor come in to do it and the city spent almost $100,000," said Fort Myers Public Works Director Saeed Kazemi.
Kazemi tells WINK News, since last year, crews have either covered or completely re-designed 26 large drains across the city.
"The city did more than we should do and we wanted the city to be safe and we did that," said Kazemi.
Gelinas says the money was well spent.
"It is nice that they followed through. Lots of people say that they will do something, but its actually following through and doing it," said Gelinas.
If you notice any large drains that you believe should be covered, call Fort Myers Public Works at (239) 321-8100.