COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- The Fire Chief of the East Naples Golden Gate fire department said the fire started by a resident who was burning trash on the property.
Fire fighters worked from the ground and from the air Wednesday afternoon, dousing the flames from a brush fire in Golden Gate Estates. Investigators said it flared up at 2:45 and quickly grew to 50 acres, fueled by our dry and windy weather.
Justin Wells was working on a home in the area when he noticed smoke and called 911. He said the flames got dangerously close to the house where he was at and fire fighters told him and the homeowner to leave the area as the fire got bigger by the minute.
"We packed everything up. The guy lived there he left at the same time and then there was a vehicle down the road that was actually closer to the fire they left at the same time too."
Several homes in the area were threatened and forced to evacuate, one had some minor damage. But after several hours and help from agencies in Lee County and Marco Island, crews were able to get the fire under control.
As for the resident who sparked the flames, it is now up to the Florida Forest Service to decide whether he will face any fines or charges.