Published: Jul 05, 2014 10:50 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 05, 2014 11:59 PM EDT

BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. - Firefighters spent hours battling a blaze, they say, was sparked by lightning.

The fire started around 4 p.m. Saturday, on Somers Drive inside the gated Quail West community.

After a fire fight that took several hours, all that's left of the home, valued at $1.6 million, is a charred skeleton.

"There was a lot of areas the guys couldn't get to," said Deputy Chief Frank Giuliano with the Bonita Springs Fire Department.  Due to the collapse of part of the structure and the imminent collapse of the rest of it, we couldn't get crews inside."

Giuliano called the fire a "freak accident," telling WINK News lightning struck the roof of the home, sending energy through the structure and causing a propane grill to burst into flames.  From there, Giuliano said the flames quickly spread to the attic and consumed the home.

Firefighters believe the home is a total loss.