Published: Jun 26, 2014 8:42 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 26, 2014 11:57 PM EDT

ESTERO, Fla. - Dozens of deputies, hours of searching and concerns about sex predators.

WINK News is gathering new details in the case of two missing Lee County children. Deputies rescued Innocence Davis and Caspian Thomas Tuesday in Estero after a tense and exhausting search.

It was a call to 911 around 2 p.m. Tuesday that sparked the whole thing. The toddlers' mother, Rachel Davis was so upset, she could barely speak.      

Operator: Were they outside playing?
Davis: No, ma'am. They were inside. I work night shift and my daughter learned how to unlock the door and she went out

3-year-old Innocence, she said, was wearing a pink shirt and jean shorts. Her 2-year-old son Caspian was wearing a white plastic diaper.

After more than 8 hours of searching through thick brush, in the heat, deputies found the children who are now in state custody.

WINK News asked but the Lee County Sheriff's Office doesn't yet know how much the entire search effort cost. But, according to a new incident report, it called for heavy manpower - 90 responding deputies - from the Sheriff's Office alone. WINK News did some digging. That represents around 9% of the department's total personnel.

Davis told the 911 operator she was really worried about who her children might run into.

Davis: The whole neighborhood the managers and everyone have been looking. We've been looking and nobody has seen them
and there is several registered sex offenders in the neighborhood.

WINK News checked online with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement sex offender registry. We didn't find any listed in Davis's neighborhood. Expand the area to a 3-mile radius and you'll find about 25 of them registered in that zone.

WINK News found out this wasn't the first time the kids had ran off.  The state has six reports against Davis for child neglect.

Davis admitted that she and the children's father, Cole Thomas were sleeping when the kids got out. The new report shows that mom and dad waited more than an hour to call 911,  first asking neighbors to help. Both are facing child neglect charges.