Published: Jun 25, 2014 10:56 AM EDT

MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida family is suing a host of pool companies over the electrocution of their 7-year-old son who died while swimming in their swimming pool.
    
Attorney Ervin Gonzalez says the lawsuit was filed Monday.
    
Calder Sloan died April 13 when a pool light overheated, causing the wiring to fail and send electrical current through the water.
    
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/1q8nqCa ) reports the family alleges the boy's death was a result of a series of avoidable safety blunders.
    
Chris Sloan says the pool light had too high a voltage and it wouldn't shut off automatically. The lawsuit alleges the pool's electrical system wasn't properly grounded and that inspectors failed to identify the problems.
    
The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of monetary compensation.
    
Gonzalez urged pool owners to doublecheck their lights.
    
___
    
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)