Published: Jun 20, 2014 4:59 PM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A residential fire that caused $5,000 in damage to a home in the northwest Cape today has been ruled accidental.

At 11:46 a.m., Cape firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting smoke in a bedroom at 1717 NW 9th Avenue. The house had been evacuated and within minutes of arriving, the fire was extinguished.

The fire was caused by a lighter on a mattress.

A Cape Coral building inspector responded to the scene and red-tagged the structure.