Published: May 22, 2014 4:37 PM EDT
Updated: May 22, 2014 6:44 PM EDT

NORTH PORT, Fla.- An ex-cop is going public about being on the other side of the law.

Now that Melanie Turner has been cleared of her criminal charges, she's giving WINK News a look at life after a sex scandal.

Turner gave WINK News an exclusive look at what she calls her "me book," a scrapbook full of accomplishments, pictures from work, and accolades, including a letter of praise signed by North Port Police Chief Kevin Vespia in 2012.

"My job was important," Turner said. "It meant a lot to me, so I kept all of this stuff."

Turner resigned from NPPD last week, nearly two months after she was charged with sexual battery and false imprisonment.  Days after her resignation, the State Attorney's Office dropped the charges.

Even though her name is cleared, Turner says the ordeal changed her life.

"My life is ruined. I have no money. I don't know what I'm going to do for a living," she said.

Turner said she can no longer be a cop, after she experienced the other side of the law.

"If i was treated like every other inmate, then (jail) is a pretty sad place," Turner said. "There was no 'please,' 'thank you,' no respect. They point down a hallway and tell you to walk there, they throw clothes at you.

"The room i was in, the toilet was right next to a window, which a male deputy was sitting outside.  I got a urinary tract infection in jail because I didnt want to pee. It was pretty miserable.

"It was the most awful thing I've ever been through, and I've been to war. I've been shot at."

Turner's friends are supporting the mother of two, financially, while she tries to move on with her life.

"Helping people is who I am," Turner said. "I would like to do something helping people."

Turner said she is a few credits away from earning an Associate's Degree.  She said she is also waiting to find out if she was accepted into an addiction counseling program.

Turner was charged alongside fellow North Port Police Officer Ricky Urbina, after a woman accused the pair of handcuffing her and performing sexual acts at a party.

Urbina committed suicide on the day he was supposed to be arrested. Since his death, Turner said she has not spoken with Urbina's family.