MGN Online

Published: May 20, 2014 4:38 PM EDT

MIAMI (AP) - Officials in Miami have nixed David Beckham's initial first choice for a Major League Soccer stadium site in Miami.
    
Miami-Dade County commissioners voted 11-1 Tuesday against a stadium at PortMiami.
    
PortMiami had been the Beckham group's preferred site. But Miami Beckham United announced Monday they were pursuing locating the stadium at the site of a downtown boat slip instead.
    
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/1vB4exR ) reports county commission chairwoman Rebeca Sosa called for Tuesday's vote. She said it was unfair to give Beckham and his investors "any hope that things could happen in a place that has so many negatives."
    
A coalition of politicians and businesses led by Royal Caribbean Cruises opposed building a stadium at PortMiami. They said a stadium would interfere with port operations, a contention the Beckham group refuted.
    
___
    
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)