Published: May 06, 2014 5:34 PM EDT
Updated: May 06, 2014 6:34 PM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - WINK News found out the city is giving some of its controlled property near bridges to homeowners.

In order for this to happen, you have to build a seawall on the new property. Some of those pieces of property can be a few hundred square feet to a couple thousand.

It all has to do with the layout of the city.

When the city built bridges, there was extra land left over. Most of the pieces are pie-shaped, and the city has no use for them. But the homeowners next door do, and they can get the land though a "quit claim."

The city will hand over the land if you build a seawall on the property. HONC Marine is one company that helps homeowners through the steps.

"You're not spending thousands to buy it, the only thing you potentially have to do is pay to go through the process to do the quit claim. But again, it's a little lengthy but it's not extremely expensive, it's not extremely time consuming," explained Tori Gansen with HONC Marine.

The most recent case involves the Wilson family. They asked the city for the extra "pie slice" of property near their canal, and city council gave it to them.

It also sparked discussion among some of the council members

"Does council have a feel on trying to get this.. it's not really a problem ..but put it out there? Do people want this land so they can help take care of it?" asked councilman Richard Leon.

Some councilmembers say it's a win-win. The property owners get more land. The city gets taxable income, and no longer has to take of the land. "They'll never have an area where the weeds grow up high, and they can complete their seawall," said Gansen.

WINK News discovered people don't usually know they have this option until they want to build a seawall. The process can take usually between four and six months, and needs to go before city council for approval.

The city usually does half a dozen of these land deals every year.