CBS Atlanta

Published: Apr 10, 2014 6:34 AM EDT

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - A federal judge has granted a second delay in the trial of an American who hijacked an airliner to Cuba 30 years ago but decided to return voluntarily.
    
The trial of William Potts was to begin Monday in Fort Lauderdale federal court. Potts' lawyer said he needs more time to review evidence recently received from the State Department. The new trial date is April 28.
    
Potts faces between 20 years and life if convicted of an air piracy charge for hijacking a New York-to-Miami flight in March 1984. The FBI says Potts claimed to have bombs on board.
    
Potts has pleaded not guilty but said he returned late last year to answer for the U.S. charge.
    
Potts is seeking credit for the 13-plus years he served in a Cuban prison.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)